Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Tragedy

Last week in the town we live in a tragedy struck. While I do not know all the details I do know that I read a snapshot of the beginning and ending of a life that ended too soon. Here is the article:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=12983312
My husband and I have four precious gifts living with us. One biological, the other three foster children. We are fully aware that at any given time our children could make a bad choice or a series of bad choices. We hope and pray they do not, however; as I read one of the first articles that came out about this tragedy I read that this particular 15 year old "Child" had been in and out of state custody since he was 4 months old. I was sick. What happened to a permanency plan for him? What happened to getting him into a "forever" family? Why did his parents choose not to make wise choices? Did they make wise choices? I don't know any of these answers. Perhaps someone out there was called to care for this child and ignored that call. As hard as it may be, and trust me, I know it's hard---YOU can make a difference. First of all pray and then pray some more. Prayer causes things to happen, then act. Don't just act because you have compassion act because it is the right thing to do. We NEED each other. What if you had taken one hour, just one, to talk with this boy, to draw him out, to let him know he wasn't alone, that he didn't have to make bad choices to be accepted?
Now, I don't want to pretend to know all the details of this case. I know only what I read. I read about a family that loved him and tried to help him. Now they are grieving his loss. I did not know him at all but I am grieving his loss. I am grieving because I know my savior is grieving. Where is the body of believers that are called by Jesus name to serve the poorest of the poor? Where?
Oh Lord forgive us for we know not what we do or "not" do. Forgive us for being comfortable in our worlds, our lives. Forgive us for our complacency. Please let this tragedy spur us on to good works. We want to glorify you. We do not seek to add to the finished work of Christ we seek to honor Him who sent us by being his hands and His feet in a lonely forgotten world.

My biological daughter and I make jewelry. 50% of the profits we make this month will go toward a foster organization to promote fostering and to get the word out about the need and the need is great.
The other 50% will go to a dear friend who is trying to bring home her son through adoption.
Will you heed the call to care for orphans? Will you make the difference in someones life today?

1 comment: